1. Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler: place a small saucepan of hot water over low heat, set the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over it, and allow it to melt gently, stirring with a spoon.
2. Place your parchment paper on a flat and cold surface and take the bowl of chocolate off the heat. Drop small spoonful of chocolate on the sheet. Use the back of the spoon to form little circles, about 4cm (1½ inches) across.
3. Place 3 – 4 topping elements (nut, fruit, and/or other) on the circle.
4. Place the sheet in a cool place for the chocolate to set, then carefully remove the Mendiants from the sheet. Depending on the temperature of your house, the Mendiants may take up to an hour to set.
5. Once set, transfer to an air tight container and store in a cool place.